Monday, July 15, 2013

Ponferrada to Villafranca del Bierzo

Jenni and I talk a lot about the positives of the Camino.  The views, fellow pilgrims, the Spanish people, cheap drink and food, and all the amazingness this journey through Spain has to offer.  Of all the good there is one other thing that really should be mentioned in case any of you also intend to walk the way.

The albergues are set up kind of like military barracks.  This means there are bunk beds and people can sometimes be only inches away from you.  None of this has been too bad but on three nights now there has been an issue where no amount of space was far enough.  There is a phenominom that I refer to as the human chainsaw.  

A human chainsaw is a type of snorer that vibrates the metal frames of the bunks you are sleeping in.  This person is in such dire need of help sleeping that even turning to their side doesn't buy enough of a reprieve from their breathing to allow you any sort of mercy.

Jenni has an amazing ability to sleep through the noise.  Perhaps she gained this super power because of my snoring but I don't believe I can be compared to a human chainsaw.  I do not have this super power so I toss and turn, tickle the chainsaws feet, and in situations like I found myself in yesterday where it was so loud I ended up sleeping in the common area of the albergue on a couch.  

The Camino had a special treat for us today.  Walking out of town we came across a cherry tree full of cherries.  It is cherry season here in Spain and they are all over for sale but this was one of the first we have seen in a while.  So me being me and Jenni as a cheerleader I went to get some.  I didn't want too many but then a branch snapped.  So not wanting to waste or leave evidence behind we worked feverishly to pick all off the branches before getting caught.  Once done we tossed the branch just in time for James to catch up.  

I am learning that the Camino is very Carson friendly with all the fruit trees lining the trails.   So far we had apple, plum, and cherry plus many more that weren't close enough to ripe for me to identify.

Today's walk had amazing views as most walks do but we were rewarded with a special treat coming into town.  The Santa Cruz crew (Erin, Buzz, Jordan, and Dylan had caught up to us and were in the same town.  It is funny how seeing a familiar face after only 10 days apart can lift anyone's spirits.

We made our version of pasta with tomatoes, zucchini, garlic, and canned tomatoes for dinner.  This albergue was a little empty in terms of pans, spices, and oil so the pasta wasn't perfect but after a hard day walking the food was delicious and the company divine.

No comments:

Post a Comment