Friday, July 12, 2013

Leon to Villavante

After an amazing day in Leon I was not too thrilled to get up this morning.  Jenni and I have gotten in the habit of getting up at 4:30 and walking by 5:15.  This allows us to walk in the cool of the morning and finish before it gets too hot.
This morning I was recovering from the fever I had two nights ago that left me with a case of the runs yesterday.  The sun is devastating and it is easy to see how people can get ill and die on the Camino if they are out in it too long.  I was happy that my ailments only cost me a little comfort.

When we finally got going we decided that today would be the night we camp outside.  We didn't think an albergue was near where we wanted to stop so this was the best option.  

We left with our Ohio friend James and started out for our 25k trek through Spain.  We took a two hour siesta in a town at noon and many relaxing breaks along the way.  It was a peaceful feeling not having to race to get a bunk and where our time was our own.

Along the way we heard a man blaring his car horn and shouting in a loudspeaker.  It was a bit strange but when we approached him we learned he was selling fresh picked cherries in the back of his car.  It is cherry season here so we bought a kilo to share. Delicious!!!!

The freedom we felt today and the spontinaity that our schedule allowed made us feel relaxed and truly free.  We were ready to sleep outside but we happened upon an albergue along our path.  It had exactly 3 open beds left so we took a vote and decided that it looked like rain tonight and my digestive system was a bit out of whack so a cool shower and soft bed was meant to be.

Another great day on the Camino.

No comments:

Post a Comment