Sunday, July 21, 2013

Palas De Rei to Arzua

Things I learned about Spain:

Tractors are as common in cities as cars and travel just as fast.  I also learned cows out number people 3 to 1.

Today's walk was brisk with the thick fog that turned into a slight drizzle.  We had reserved an albergue so we weren't in as much of a rush to get to our end point as we had been.  The large hordes of people that plagued us right before the 100km mark had also spread out.  

The Camino tests everyone different.  The Camino pounds on your weaknesses until you either work past them or they become so apparent to everyone around you that someone else calls you out.

one of my weaknesses was how I initially thought ill of the new walkers that flooded the trail and compete for the space in the albergues at the 100km mark.   I didn't like how they wore their new Camino t-shirts or wore shells around their necks with arrows.  It wasn't until I watched a guy popping a blister with a safety pin on the floor next to my bunk did I realize that it isn't a compitition for the toughest or longest journey.  If it were I would lose that battle miserably as there are walkers that I have met that started in Switzerland, Belgium, and even a family with a 9 month old baby, an 8 and 11 year old, and the mom and dad that started 100 kilometers further back then we did.  None of these people thought ill of competing with me for space having started from where I did. Watching the guy pop his blister made me remember that I am here for my journey.  My journey is different then others and we will all complete our journey as we should.

Some of our Camino family has had some unfortunate visitors at night.  Jenni and I have been as diligent as we could looking for signs of these visitors and am thankful every morning that we do not have them.   We did write a little song for them and anyone that has had the guests over for dinner.

One little bed bug biting me
It is goin' to have babies

Two little bed bugs biting me
Their goin' start a colony 

Three little bed bugs biting me
I think I am starting to get dizzy

Four little bed bugs biting me
I don't want to look down to see

Five little bed bugs biting me
People are starting to stay away from me

Our Santa Cruz friends added some lyrics and created another song that also highlights the number one fear on the Camino.  These little critters have caused more anxiety then any other challenge the Camino could have provided.  We are hopeful that we do not have this fear get tested, and hope that those of our friends that have were able to clear them up without further problems.


No comments:

Post a Comment